If there is one thing that most people who know me know, is that I love to sew. But most don’t know that I actually enjoy patternmaking more, even though I probably know more about the former.
I first started sewing in my younger years as just something that seemed interesting. I made a few simple things here and there, but nothing too successful. I even made a drawstring bag in 7th grade home-ec. But even that wasn’t all that impressive. It wasn’t until I was in my early twenties and fed up with heading to the biggest malls, pockets full of green, and coming home with nothing. My closet was slowly going bare with my wallet still full…something had to change! So what started out as a need and desperation quickly turned into a full time passion.
So here are a 10 reasons why I love to sew (and make my own patterns):
- I can make what I WANT.I never have to look for what someone else dictates as to whats in and whats out or wait for someone else to make it,
- Knowing that what I’m wearing really is one of a kind (for the most part).No more outfit twins
- It comes in my size.Once you get some fitting, patternmaking and/or grading knowledge under your belt sizing doesn’t matter anymore (again for the most part).
- Handmade = Better Quality. No more one and done clothing lost to the washing machine.
- It’s affordable. Story on that coming soon.
- I can now try for Me-Made-May. I can create my own unique handmade wardrobe. Maybe this will be the year for MMM.
- It’s social. Patternreview.com, Stitcher’s Guild, Burdastyle Sewing Club, American Sewing Guild and so on.
- It can be profitable.
- Slow Fashion Movement. For me this means quality over quantity, ethical and timeless.
- It’s Fun. Sewing and patternmaking are truly my creative passion and hope to use it help others.